Sunday 24 March 2013

That didn't take long...

Ok, I've thought about it ;-). I find that writing my thoughts out here helps me to make sense of things, so here goes.
I'm going to strap on my snow gear and go and buy a couple of bags of popcorn and some Milky Ways (my new favourite treat). I am going to eat half a bag of popcorn when I get back from work before dinner and try to use my will power to not eat the rest of it. The Milky Ways will help if this triggers off my usual binge tendencies and I needtoeatsomethinganythingrightnow.
My reasoning behind this is manifold. I looked up the maintenance calorie amount for my goal weight and I was beyond surprised to see that it is exactly the same as my current weight loss calorie amount. So, I need to start building the habits now that will see me through for the rest of my life as this is it now calorie-wise.
Then, I realised that it is still lent so I am not eating crisps. Usually I would eat at least one packet of crisps per day and usually several family-size bags if I was feeling bingey. After losing weight my healthy eating lifestyle would include eating reasonable amounts of the foods I currently binge on so it is realistic to think that crisps will be counted in my calorie amount when I am at my goal weight. So, quarter of a pack of popcorn is roughly equal to one bag of crisps. I have also stopped eating cheese, and drinking milk in beverages as I am needing to be strict about my lactose intolerance needs at the moment. I drank full-fat milk in up to 8 cups of tea/coffee a day and I have dropped this outright. This probably accounts for the other half bag of popcorn. At the moment I also try to avoid eating high-fat meals or snacks in order to avoid developing a taste for them. When I am at my goal weight I am going to eat like a person that is at their goal weight and not a person in fat recovery, so this will necessitate eating out, cooking the occasional ready meal etc.. I will have meals that push up my calorie amount from time to time and this is a good thing.
I also do not snack any more as I can't eat when I am at work outside of lunch time. All the recommended healthy eating plans have at least two snacks included, so I am missing out on vital calories here. I have got into the bad habit of thinking that this is good for me as it is less calories in total but, really, it isn't working out is it? As I can't have a morning snack I will have a double snack in the afternoon before dinner, which should be fine as realistically I do all my exercise in the evenings anyway.
I'm going to try it for 1-2 weeks and see how I get on. Here is to the popcorn diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment