Friday 3 May 2013

I think my arse muscles are broken...

Well, the muscles between my arse and my thighs, anyway. The gym is evidently paying off in some way! I went swimming on Wednesday on my way home from work, just so I could definitely get in some use of the gym.
Yesterday, I had my introductory (free) session with a personal trainer. Oh. My. Good. God. I have now discovered that only amateur sadists take up personal training as a career (well, maybe not all!) and that they really like to work you hard! I booked the appointment over the weekend and it started with lots of back and forth phone calls. I was a little concerned, it must be said. It says in the little book the gym gave me that you shouldn't work out on an empty stomach, and I had stupidly booked the class for 1 pm and it takes around half an hour to get there. So, I followed my usual Thursday morning routine and I got my super salad and potato shapes for lunch. I was starting to run out of time, so I started eating the potato shapes in the car park and found that I wasn't that hungry, I was in danger of being late so as I wasn't hungry I left half the potatoes and the salad to eat when I got out of the gym. This may have been a mistake, or it may have been fate.
I got ready, met up with the pt and we chatted about what my goals were, what I had done up until now etc... Then he took me out to train. This is where everything changes. We started doing lunges, squats and various things like planks and leg raises,then he threw in doing those things with weights and weighted bags. I drank a fair amount of water, but I had this horrible almost dizzy feeling like I couldn't carry on. I felt drained in my head, and almost sick but not sick enough to tell the pt about. I felt like my stomach was going nuts and I couldn't carry on. I did carry on although I did ask to rest a few times and I sat on the floor drinking water, feeling so very shaky and unwell. We switched to cardio and the rowing machine and I had to excuse myself to the bathroom and sit on the toilet recuperating for a few minutes. I just kept thinking to myself that years of bingeing on potatoes, crisps, popcorn and other shit was what had done this to me and I was horrified that at only 24 years of age I was in such bad shape that I thought I was going to die at my personal training session. Not cool. Not cool at all. I went back out from the loo with a rejuvenated attitude and I worked my arse off on the rowing machine to show that I wasn't a wuss for 20 minutes.

This leads me to today. I didn't eat the rest of those potato shapes, just the salad and I went for two walks before going to bed at 8 pm as I was exhausted. I woke up this morning feeling like death had clobbered me repeatedly with a mallet and all day sitting down and doing anything requiring movement has been agony! My poor muscles!

That horrible sicky, passing out feeling has stuck with me though and I am determined that May is going to be my month. Sore arse muscles and all. I am going to remember that feeling so when I am tempted to binge or even make unhealthy choices I will avoid them. I went back to the gym this morning for aqua aerobics and did some swimming/sauna time too so I am keeping up with the exercise. I might have an afternoon nap and then go for a walk/run later. I am determined that this week there will be a downward swing on the scales. Determined. I have worked so hard that I will be genuinely devastated if there is no movement. I did weigh myself this morning (glutton for punishment!) and the number was the same as last Sunday. Hmph. Still, I think it takes my body a little time to process these things so hopefully magical Sunday will be on my side!!!

My stomach is  a bit upset the last few days, which is not ideal as lowering myself to the toilet and back is incredibly painful, but I hope this is a good thing - that my body is recognising the changes, and not just me getting ill right before the bank holiday weekend.

Here is to a super May!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment